Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bluegrass Time: See You in Kentucky?

It's time for my annual trip to Kentucky, ostensibly for the Rolex (Kentucky) Three-Day Event at the Kentucky Horse Park, but my plans are to cram as much in as I can. ("Rolex" is America's premier four-star event.)

I'll be tracking down Scott Sellers, farrier from the group farrier practice known as "Forging Ahead" in Round Hill, Virginia. Scott will be tuning up some of the top horses for the USA at the event, and standing by in case he's needed.

Another big part of Rolex is an afternoon of demonstrations in the podiatry clinic at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital, just down the road from the Horse Park. The staff there probably has no idea how many people I've talked to who are planning to attend. They're even running buses between the Horse Park and Rood and Riddle!

Across town, I'll be checking in at Keeneland racecourse with my key contact, therapist Dianne Volz, who will be keeping a close eye on many of the Kentucky Derby contenders. This year is different in the run up to the Derby since so many trainers have chosen to stay in Lexington rather than stable at Churchill Downs in Louisville. The attraction? Training on Keeneland's Polytrack (artificial) surface, which many feel is kinder and gentler on a horse's legs.

Of course I'll also make a stop at Breeders Supply in Lexington, to see what's new at one of my favorite farrier supply stores. And stop in at a few of my favorite bookstores, and...the list goes on!

If you're in Kentucky too this week, look for me in any of these places and be sure to say hello. I would love to meet some of the people who read this blog (whoever you are). Send email to fran@hoofcare.com and let me know how to find you.